Welcome to our health-obsessed and wellness conscious Grass Roots Juicery Blog! We love our community, and through this blog, we hope to inspire and encourage you into living a healthier life and happier life. Because, well you already know-HEALTHY LIFE, HAPPY LIFE!
For our first article, we wanted to share a recipe with an awesome ingredient that we’re crazy about - Kelp Noodles!
Kelp noodles are amazingly thin, crunchy and clear “noodles” made out of Kelp. Kelp is a type of seaweed that is rich in iodine content, which can aid in thyroid hormone production. Since kelp noodles don’t require cooking and can be used similarly to other noodle and pasta dishes, they are becoming increasingly popular in gluten-free and raw diets. Kelp noodles are extremely versatile and fun to play with since they adopt the flavor of anything you add them to.
For this recipe, we knew we wanted something refreshing and crunchy for the summer, but still creamy enough to hold the Kelp noodles. So, we came up with this amazing vegan-friendly recipe of a kale avocado pesto topped with some vegan nut parm. We added some grape tomatoes and roasted asparagus to complete the dish and we can’t wait to tell you how to make it.
Best of all, you’re guaranteed to have some leftover dressing, which you can totally use as the perfect summer dipping sauce.
KELP NOODLES + KALE AVOCADO PESTO
Vegan "parmesan cheese" ingredients:
4 oz raw pine nuts
1 tbsp raw sesame seeds ( used black, but you can use regular)
2 lemons zest
1 tbsp wheat germ
½ of salt
½ of pepper
Kale avocado pesto dressing ingredients:
Bunch of Kale
Half Haas Avocado
½ cup of water
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp pepper
2 cloves of garlic
¼ cup of vegan parm
1 bag of Kelp Noodles ( used Gold Mine, available at our Grass Roots Juicery Store)
4 oz of grape tomatoes
1 bunch of roasted asparagus chopped
1. Start by making the vegan “parmesan” cheese. Add all ingredients into a mixing bowl and blend with a hand blender or add to your food processor. Pulse all ingredients until your parm feels crumbly.
2. Next, in a large bowl (or in food processor directly) add the kale (leafs only), half an avocado (diced), chopped garlic, salt, pepper, and aprox ¼ cup of the vegan parm you made before. Add a little bit of water and start blending. Add remaining cup of water and blend until sauce is smooth and has a creamy consistency. Adjust salt and pepper as needed. Set aside.
3. Rinse kelp noodles thoroughly in warm water. Leave them for a little in the warm water so they soften up a bit. Since kelp noodles are super long, try breaking them or cutting them up with kitchen scissors.
4. Roast some asparagus (usual olive oil, salt pepper at 425 for 8-12 min) and cut them into 2” pieces.
5. Add the kale avocado pesto dressing to kelp noodles and mix thoroughly with grape tomatoes (halved) and chopped asparagus. Top with some more vegan parm for extra crunch and enjoy!
And that’s it! Enjoy the perfect summer meal that will transport your taste buds to the beach even if your body has to stay in the city.